[Salon] Fwd: "Iran assesses US responses to proposals received via EU Coordinator

https://english.almayadeen.net/news/politics/iran-assesses-us-responses-to-proposals-received-via-eu-coor

August 24, 2022

Iran assesses US responses to proposals received via EU Coordinator

  • Iran assesses US responses to proposals received via EU CoordinatorIranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Nasser Kanaani

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Nasser Kanaani announced on Wednesday that Iran has received the United States' response to its proposals through the European Union's foreign policy chief Josep Borrell.

"We have started a careful review and evaluation of the US response, and the Islamic Republic will announce its views after looking into it," Kanaani said.

Two days ago, Kanaani emphasized "Washington's responsibility for not reviving the nuclear agreement."

Kanaani stressed that "Iran will not accept attritional negotiations and stresses the necessity of achieving results as soon as possible and reaching an agreement that satisfies all parties," while guaranteeing the interests of the Iranian people.

The European Union's top diplomat, Josep Borrell, said yesterday most countries that are part of discussions with Iran on reviving the 2015 nuclear deal say they agree with the bloc's latest proposal as all sides wait for the United States to respond after Tehran gave its opinion on the draft.

Borrell said during an interview with Spain's national broadcaster TVE on August 23: "Most of them agree, but I still don't have the answer from the United States, who I understand have to discuss it, and we expect during this week to receive an answer". This came after his Tweet last month urging a decision to be made as soon as possible.

It is worth noting that Iranian Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian submitted, on August 15, Iran’s final conclusion for JCPOA negotiations, reiterating that while its demands have not been completely met in writing, it remains that progress has been made on several issues.

However, Iran has also made it clear that no agreement can be reached without guarantees that its red lines are to be fully respected and its benefits ensured through the renewed JCPOA agreement.

Washington commented saying that the US is ready to seal the deal and that all that can be negotiated has already been.