[Salon] They're making a mistake': Biden rejects progressive Democrats' criticism of Israel

https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/2022-07-14/ty-article/.highlight/theyre-making-a-mistake-biden-rejects-progressive-democrats-criticism-of-israel/00000181-fb5a-d6ee-a9df-fb7e34470000?utm_source=mailchimp&utm_medium=Content&utm_campaign=daily-brief&utm_content=308f77012a

'They're making a mistake': Biden rejects progressive Democrats' criticism of Israel

Ben SamuelsJul 14, 2022

U.S. President Joe Biden rejected criticisms of Israel from progressive U.S. lawmakers, insisting that they do not represent a growing divide within the Democratic Party.

"There are few of them. I think they're wrong. I think they're making a mistake. Israel is a democracy. Israel is our ally. Israel is a friend and I make no apologies," Biden told Israel's Channel 12 news in an interview taped before his visit to Israel.

Biden noted that his administration has already provided $4 billion in aid to Israel, including $1 billion in emergency funding for Israel's Iron Dome missile defense system, as well as the current Iron Beam laser project aimed to replace Iron Dome. "It's overwhelming, our interest that Israel be stable," he said.

When asked if Israelis should be concerned about whether last year's controversy on Iron Dome funding portends a future rift between U.S. and Israel, Biden stressed "there is no possibility, I think, of the Democratic Party or even a significant portion of the Republican Party walking away from Israel."

Biden's remarks come as the Democratic Party's left flank forcefully expressed its displeasure with Israel’s actions toward the Palestinians – as well as with the Biden administration’s response. They have raised a series of policy concerns, including but not limited to, the labelling of Palestinian NGOs as terror groups, settlement expansion, housing evictions and treatment of Palestinian and Arab-American citizens at points of entry and within the West Bank. The killing of Palestinian-American journalist Shireen Abu Akleh is also a point of contention between the administration and Democrats.

Progressive Democrats, however, openly lament the lack of room for dissent on the U.S.-Israel relationship, believing U.S. military aid should not be unconditional and that restricting criticism of Israel violates the spirit of free speech. Democrats have introduced various pieces of legislation over the past two years aimed at increasing oversight on where U.S. security assistance to Israel goes, attempting to ensure that aid is not spent in ways perpetuating human rights violations in contravention of U.S. law.

The Biden administration, meanwhile, is planning on doubling down in its support for 2016's memorandum of understanding which stipulated a 10-year, $38 billion defense package.

The strategic document detailing the U.S.-Israel alliance, to be signed by Biden and Prime Minister Yair Lapid on Thursday, will note ongoing U.S. support for the MOU as well as support for extending it at an appropriate time.

A senior U.S. official, describing the MOU as "the keystone U.S. support for Israel's security," said the document is "a reaffirmation of the importance of the MOU that was put in place when President Biden was vice president, but also the commitment to look at the future and that we recognize the need for, ultimately, another agreement when the MOU ultimately expires."