[Salon] FEARS GROW OF A SOCIETY COMING APART; SOME EVEN PREDICT THE POSSIBILITY OF CIVIL WAR

FEARS GROW OF A SOCIETY COMING APART;  SOME EVEN PREDICT THE
                        POSSIBILITY OF CIVIL WAR
                                              BY
                                 ALLAN C. BROWNFELD
————————————————————————————————————————-
In his “House Divided” speech, Abraham Lincoln spoke of the dangers of a society coming apart.  He borrowed from a biblical passage in the Gospel of Matthew:  “And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand.”

Our society at the present time, in the opinion of many, is more and more reminiscent of the years leading up to the Civil War.  A recent survey by pollster John Zogby found that a plurality of Americans (46%) believed a future civil war was likely, 43% felt it was unlikely and 11% were not sure.  War seemed more likely for younger people (53%) than older ones (31%).

In a report published by the Brookings Institution, “Is The U.S. Headed for Another Civil War?,” William G. Gale and Darrell M. West conclude that, “We should not assume it could not happen and ignore the ominous signs that conflict is spiraling out of control.  Even if we do not end up in open combat, there could be an uptick in domestic terrorism and armed violence that could destabilize the country.  It is time to take steps to safeguard democracy, address societal concerns and defuse our current tinderbox.”

According to an NBC/Wall Street Journal poll, 80% of American voters  “ think things in the country are out of control.”  Conservative commentator David Brooks, writing in The Atlantic, notes that, “Levels of trust in this country—-in our institutions, in our politics, in one another—-are in precipitous decline.  When social trust collapses, nations fail.”

I remember when our politics worked, when Republicans and Democrats did not view themselves as “enemies,” but as Americans engaged in the common enterprise of governing.  They disagreed about many issues, they formed coalitions across party lines. They compromised.  Together, Republicans and Democrats won World War 11 and the Cold War and advanced the civil rights movement.  Republicans like Ronald Reagan worked closely with Democrats like Tip O’Neill and became friends.

I worked in the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives for a number of years.  In those days, there were no metal detectors at each entrance.  I don’t remember a single member of Congress receiving a death threat.  Now, we have seen a violent assault on the U.S. Capitol by those unhappy with the results of a free and fair election.  Members of Congress have received many death threats and travel around with security details.  To further divide voters, in recent primary elections, we have seen Democrats provide support to the most extreme Republicans, thinking they would be easier to defeat.  Republicans are engaged in purging members of their own party who diverge from some ordained party line.  In both parties, independent thinking is frowned upon.  The nation faces serious problems——inflation, gun violence, global warming leading to massive forest fires, an increase in crime.  With our political parties unable to work with one another to confront these very real problems, it is no wonder that so many Americans are in despair.

Anti-social behavior, unfortunately, is not confined to our political life.  It can be seen throughout our society.  Mitch Daniels, the former Republican governor of Indiana and now president of Purdue University, writes:  “In public school systems, disruptive, sometimes barbarous conduct  is blighting the futures of innocent children and inflicting lasting damage on our society.  One doesn’t have to be elderly to recall times when even minor misbehavior was grounds for removal from the classroom, and maybe from the school itself.  The schools didn’t carry the whole burden of keeping order.  In proposing a bill, as Indiana’s governor in 2008, to protect discipline enforcing teachers from lawsuits, I observed, ‘If I had ever gotten in any big trouble at school, my dad would have come down there.  But he wouldn’t have been looking for the principal.’  And that was when a mere disrespectful remark justified banishment from class.”

Daniels laments that, “Today, when an astonishing 10 per cent of public school teachers report not just misbehavior but threatened or actual physical violence directed at them, the damage to the young lives exposed to this conduct is irrefutable and tragic.  In one of many such studies, the National Bureau of Dconomic Research found that classroom exposure to just one disruptive boy in a class of 25 reduced test scores, the likelihood of receiving any degree and lifetime earnings—-all by significant margins.”

In our political life, we have sunk to the level in which the disgraced former governor of Missouri, now a candidate for the U.S. Senate nomination, Eric Greitens, has been running a ‘RINO hunting” ad.  It depicts a heavily armed Greitens, joined by a squad of heavily armed men in military uniforms, busting down a door and throwing stun grenades to kill “Republicans in name only.”  Greitens urges, “Get a RINO hunting permit, there’s no bagging limit, and it doesn’t expire until we save our country.”  The Missouri Fraternal Order of Police has condemned the ad as “deplorable.”  The conservative Eagle Forum PAC called it “deeply disturbing, authoritarian and anti-conservative.”  Former Republican Rep. Barbara Comstock of Virginia  described it as “sick and dangerous.”

Early in July, the Gallup organization reported that only 27 per cent of Americans expressed confidence in their institutions—-the lowest level of trust since the questions were first asked a half century ago.  The institutions included in the poll were:  Congress, the presidency, the Supreme Court, the military , business, police, media, churches, schools and more.  The average confidence level, 27 per cent, has declined from 46 per cent in 1989. Only 25 per cent of those polled have confidence in the Supreme Court.

Responsible leaders in both of our political parties would do well to consider why Americans have come to have so little regard for our institutions.  Narrow political partisanship, contempt for compromise, refusal to accept the results of elections, the inability to disagree without being disagreeable and the rejection of basic norms of civility, have taken their toll.  As Abraham Lincoln understood, a nation divided in this way cannot stand.  What, one wonders, would Lincoln think of the state of the American society today.
                                                   ##