[Salon] Iraqi Parliamentary Resignations and Replacements (June 2022)

Fast Facts Logo _4_.jpg

Iraqi Parliamentary Resignations and Replacements

(June 2022)

Developments in Iraqi Parliamentary Replacements:

  • On June 24, Iraqi parliament swore in new legislators in response to the Sadrist bloc’s mass resignations. 64 new lawmakers were confirmed.
  • The Iraqi Constitution stipulates that unoccupied parliamentary seats will be given to the district’s second ranking candidate.
  • Thus, the Iraqi Coalition Framework, consisting of Iran-backed politicians, gained 40 additional seats, bringing their current representation to approximately 130 of parliament’s 329 seats.
  • Several parties made substantial gains
  • Al-Fatah gained 11 seats.
  • The State Forces Alliance gained 7 seats.
  • The Emtidad movement gained 7 seats.
  • The State of Law Alliance gained 5 seats.
  • Huqooq gained 5 seats.
  • The National Covenant gained 4 seats.
  • The National Approach gained 3 seats.
  • According to the assembly’s media office, 9 seats remain empty.

What Invoked the Parliamentary Resignations?

  • On October 10, 2021, Iraq held its fifth parliamentary elections since the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq in 2003.
  • Initially meant to take place in 2022, these elections were moved forward to 2021 to appease public dissatisfaction over unsatisfactory public services and political corruption.
  • Al-Sadr won the biggest hold of the parliament, increasing the number of seats from his party to 73 members. He aimed to form a majority administration.
  • Growing disagreement between parties created an ongoing political standoff and, consequently, Iraqi politicians had exceeded all previous deadlines to form a government.
  • On June 12, over 70 members of the Sadrist bloc, parliament’s largest political bloc, announced their resignation from Iraq’s 329-member parliament.
  • The mass resignation decree was prompted by bloc leader Muqtada al-Sadr, who requested members step down to combat parliament’s eight-month long inability to elect a prime minister and form a government.
  • Al-Sadr argued that the resignation will assist in undermining the stalemate, thus paving the way for a governmental formation.

Please direct all congressional inquires to: SSchaefer@mepc.org

Our mission is to provide policymakers and the public with credible, comprehensive information and analysis on political, economic, and cultural issues pertaining to U.S.-Middle East relations. Our goal is to foster more effective policy solutions to current and future challenges. We accomplish this through three core programs: 1. our world-renowned, quarterly journal Middle East Policy (the #1 most cited publication on the region in the world); 2. our Policy Products and Programming Series designed for senior policymakers and their staffs, and 3. our acclaimed international educational outreach program, TeachMideast, designed for students, educators and other civic leaders.

For sponsorship opportunities, please contact: balghussein@mepc.org

For individual donations, please click here

Footer logos.jpg

Middle East Policy Council

1730 M St. NW, Suite 512,

Washington, DC 20036

(202) 296-6767

Subscribe to our journal
Facebook  Twitter  YouTube  Instagram  LinkedIn