[Salon] German FM admits differences, claims Europe united on China policy

https://english.almayadeen.net/news/politics/german-fm-admits-differences-claims-europe-united-on-china-p

German FM admits differences, claims Europe united on China policy

  • Germany's Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock speaks with the media as she arrives for a meeting of NATO foreign ministers at NATO headquarters in Brussels on April 4, 2023. (AP)Germany's Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock speaks with the media as she arrives for a meeting of NATO foreign ministers at NATO headquarters in Brussels on April 4, 2023. (AP)

The German Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock, during her trip to China, stressed that Europe continues to be united in its policy toward Beijing. The comment followed allegedly controversial remarks made by French President Emmanuel Macron, which angered some of the collective-West countries.

Baerbock told reporters in Tianjin, "We not only have a common position with regard to the European stance, but if we share a common internal market, then we cannot have different positions on the EU's largest trading partner."

According to Baerbock, the fact that Macron had visited China alongside EU chief Ursula von der Leyen was "a very important sign," adding, "Despite all the differences that we have in the European Union... we are not only close to each other on the central issues of our interests and values, but we (also) pursue common strategic approaches."

Macron doubles down on Taiwan take: We are not US 'vassals' but allies

The French leader reiterated his stance of backing the "status quo" on Taiwan, which is contrary to what Washington is promoting and trying to establish in the Asia-Pacific.

"Being an ally does not mean being a vassal... doesn't mean that we don't have the right to think for ourselves," Macton told reporters in Amsterdam while with Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte.

Earlier, in an interview published on April 9, Macron stated that Europe must not be a "follower" of either the US or China on Taiwan, warning that the EU risks becoming entangled in "crises that aren't ours."

His remarks risk infuriating Washington and highlighting tensions inside the European Union over how to approach China, as the US escalates confrontation with its main adversary and Beijing moves closer to Russia in the aftermath of the war in Ukraine.

"The worst thing would be to think that we Europeans must be followers and adapt ourselves to the American rhythm and a Chinese overreaction," Macron told media including French business daily Les Echos and Politico as he returned Friday from a three-day state visit to Beijing.

The French president stated that "we must be clear where our views overlap with the US, but whether it's about Ukraine, relations with China, or sanctions, we have a European strategy."

"We don't want to get into a bloc versus bloc logic," he added, saying Europe "should not be caught up in a disordering of the world and crises that aren't ours".