[Salon] REMEMBERING THE GOLDEN AGE OF AMERICAN POLITICAL LIFE——A LONG TIME AGO

REMEMBERING THE GOLDEN AGE OF AMERICAN POLITICAL LIFE——
                              A LONG TIME AGO
                                               By
                                     ALLAN C. BROWNFELD
———————————————————————————————————————
American political life is in serious decline.  A former president has been indicted numerous times.  The son of a president is facing criminal charges, and his father’s role, while marginal, appears unseemly.  A candidate for the Republican presidential presidential nomination, the governor of Florida, speaks of “slitting the throats” and “kneecapping” those with whom he disagrees.

This is not the American politics I remember.  Shortly after I graduated from law school, I worked in the U.S. Senate as an aide to Sen. Thomas Dodd of Connecticut.  I was his representative on the Internal Security Subcommittee of the Senate Judiciary Committee.  I prepared the committee’s report on the New Left and helped organize hearings about religious persecution in Communist countries.  Sen. Dodd had been a chief prosecutor in the Nuremburg trials of Nazi war criminals. He was a fierce opponent of tyranny of any kind.  He was a Democrat.

Later, I worked with Republicans.  I was assistant to the research director of the House Republican conference.  On our committe were  two future presidents, Reps. George H.W.Bush and Gerald Ford.  They did not view Democrats as “enemies” but were busy seeking to form coalitions on areas where they could agree.  Working together, Republicans and Democrats won the Cold War and advanced civil rights.  Later I worked with Rep. Phil Crane (R-IL).  Together with like-minded Democrats, we succeeded in eliminating the Civil Aeronautics Board and bringing real competition to the airline industry and eliminating the Interstate Commerce Commission’s anti-competitive rules for the trucking industry. President Carter endorsed our efforts.

Our Constitution is approaching its 250th anniversary.  No other country in the world is now living under the same form of government it did 250 years ago—-except the United States.  When I worked in the Congress, I began lecturing at the Freedoms Foundation in Valley Forge, Pennsylvania.  My subject was whether or not a free society such as ours can endure into the future.  It seems increasingly  clear that the golden age of American political life was at the beginning.

The Founding Fathers understood very well that freedom was not man’s natural state.  Their entire political philosophy was based on a fear of excessive government power and the need to limit and restrict that power very strictly.  It was their fear of total government which initially caused them to rebel against the arbitrary rule of King George lll.  In the Constitution, they tried their best to construct a form of government which, through a series of checks and balances and a clear division of powers, would protect the individual.

There is no doubt that in the colonial era the best men in American society were engaged in public life, so different from today.  And they risked their lives and their property by challenging British rule.  That government should be clearly limited and that power is a corrupting force was the essential perception of the men who made the nation.  In The Federalist Papers, James Madison declared:  “It may b be a reflection on human nature that such devices should be necessary to control the abuses of government.  But what is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on Human nature?  If men were angels, no government would be necessary.  If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary.  In framing a government which is to be administered by men over men, the great difficulty lies in this:  you must first enable the government to control the governed, and in the next place oblige it to control itself.”

The Founding Fathers were not utopians.  They understood man’s nature.  They attempted to form a government which was consistent with, not contrary to, that nature.  Alexander Hamilton pointed out that, “Here we have already seen enough  of the fallacy and extravagance of those idle theories which have amused us with promises of an exemption from the imperfections, weaknesses, and evils incident to society in every shape.  Is it not time to awake from the deceitful dream of a golden age, and to adopt as a practical maxim for the direction of our political conduct that we, as well as the other inhabitants of the globe, are yet remote from the happy empire of perfect wisdom and perfect virtue?”

The powerful insights of the Founding Fathers make clear that the Golden Age of American politics was at the very beginning.  Rather than viewing man and government in positive terms, the framers of the Constitution had almost precisely the opposite view.  John Adams declared that, “Whoever would found a state and make proper laws for the government of it must presume that all men are bad by nature…We may appeal to every page of history we have hitherto turned over, for proofs irrefragable, that the people, when they have been unchecked, have been as unjust, tyrannical, brutal, barbarous and cruel as any king or senate possessed of uncontrollable power…All projects of government, formed upon a supposition of continued vigilance, sagacity, and virtue, firmness of the people when possessed of the exercise of supreme power, are cheats and delusions…The fundamental article of my political creed is that despotism, or unlimited sovereignty, or absolute power, is the same in a majority of a popular assembly , an aristocratical council, an oligarchical junto, and a single emperor.  Equally bloody, arbitrary, cruel, and in every respect diabolical.”

The political thinker who had the most important impact upon the thinking of the Founding Fathers was John Locke.  Locke repeatedly emphasized his suspicion of government power.  He believed that if the authorities violate their trust, the regime should be dissolved.  The written and spoken words of the men who led the Revolution give us numerous examples of their fear and suspicion of power and the men who held it.  Samuel Adams asserted that, “There is a degree of watchfulness over all men possessed of power or influence upon which the liberties of mankind must depend.  It is necessary to guard against the infirmities of the best as well as the wickedness of the worst of men.”  Therefore, “Jealousy is the best security of public liberty.”

That indeed was a golden age.  George Washington had to be persuaded to run for a second term.  When it ended, there were those who wanted to make him “President for Life.”  Washington quietly returned to his farm at Mt.Vernon.  Now politicians who retire or are defeated rarely go home.  They often remain in Washington as lobbyists, making large sums of money to influence their former colleagues.  And for the first time in our history a defeated presidential candidate claims to be the winner.  Jefferson, Adams, Madison and Hamilton read history and the great philosophers.  They were intimately familiar with the rise and fall of Athens and Rome and sought to learn lessons for America from this history.  If there are members of Congress today who follow that example, they are few indeed.

As we approach the 250th anniversary of the Constitution, the future of American democracy remains less than clear.  Perhaps reflecting upon our Golden Age will help us to get back on a proper path.  If we continue on the path we appear to be on, our future is very much in question.  Democracy cannot endure if each party views the other as an “enemy,” and the idea of compromise is rejected.  The Constitution itself was produced by many compromises, some of which were later corrected.  Sadly, in many of our schools the colonial period and the adoption of the Constitution is barely studied.  We are already paying a high price for not properly transmitting our history.  If ever there was a time to change course, it is now.
                                      ##