Re: [Salon] DOWN WITH CONVENTIONAL WISDOM

Dear Clyde,

The $1 trillion trade deficit expected this year means that foreigners will help pay our expected $1.7 trillion fiscal deficit this year. We should thank then but tell our government to reign it in.

As a result of increased manufacturing productivity allowing the higher overall income to shift consumption to services, the share of manufacturing to GDP worldwide has declined. The share of manufacturing to GDP in the EU was 24.8% in 1980 and 19.7% in 2019.  In Japan it dropped from 32.5% in 1980 to 20.22% in 2019. These are good things (higher standard of living) not bad things. The economies of scale from manufacturing are NOT infinite. Manufacturing output in the U.S. was $1.7 trillion in 1980 and $2.3 trillion in 2019. Each country maximizing the output it is relatively best at increases all countries incomes. But you know that.

While I think that too much of our amazing income growth has gone to the upper half, absolute income is more important that relative income.  Real median income in US has increased 128% from 1080 to 2020.

Please add my name to those you list supporting the conventional wisdom. We support it for good reasons.

Warren

Warren Coats
1211 S Eads St. #2101
Arlington VA 22202