[Salon] We Could Learn From Our History, If Only We Taught It

We Could Learn From Our History, If Only We Taught It
                                   By
                          Allan C.Brownfeld
—————————————————————————————————————-
History has many lessons to teach Us—-but we will not learn such lessons if we don’t teach our history.  In his farewell to the nation, President Ronald Reagan said, “I’m warning of an eradication of the American memory that could result, ultimately, in an erosion of the American spirit.  Let’s start with some basics: more attention to American history.”

Sadly, the teaching of history is in decline.  Student scores in history and civics are at all-time lows.  Jeffrey Sikkenga, executive director of the Ashbrook Center, calls it a “civic illness” and notes that, “Too many young people don’t know the basic facts of U.S. history and government.  They don’t adequately understand the fundamental principles that guide our country.”

One reason that schools are ignoring the teaching of our history is because of stress and testing on math, science and English.  Students and teachers are judged on how they do on these subjects, while history is rarely taught and is not tested.  Consider the lessons from our history that are not being learned.

In May, 2006 the 400th anniversary of the first English settlement in America at Jamestown, Virginia got under way.  The Godspeed, a $2.6 million replica of one of the three ships that carried the first settlers to Jamestown in 1607, sailed to six East Coast ports to generate interest in the “America’s 400th Anniversary” commemoration.

Governor Timothy Kaine (now Senator) of Virginia said, as the Godspeed set sail, that, “Today is the beginning of 18 months of commemoration of a moment not just critical to the history of Jamestown or Virginia or even America, but we begin to mark a moment that altered the path of the entire world and of human history.”

Former Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O’Connor, who served as honorary chair of the national Jamestown commemoration, declared:  “The system of government that we have today was an outgrowth of those early settlements, and so I thought the anniversary was a worthy reason to try to remind citizens of our history.  In the United States today, public schools have pretty much stopped teaching government,civics and American history.  It gets tossed in occasionally, but it’s no longer a major focus for children.  That’s a great concern to me because I truly don’t know how long we can survive as a strong nation if our younger citizens don’t understand the nature of our government, why it was formed that way, and how they can participate and should participate as citizens. That’s something you have to learn.  It just isn’t handed down in the genetic pool.”  It all began in Jamestown in 1607.

Reviewing this early history is instructive.  Thirteen years before the Pilgrims landed in Massachusetts, a group of 104 English men and boys made the four-and-a-half month voyage to the banks of the James River to form a settlement in Virginia.  Their goal of making profit from the resources of the New World for the Virginia Company of London, a start-up venture with a business model based on extracting profits from the New World.

The Susan Constant was the flagship of the Virginia Company’s expedition,carrying 71 people.  It was armed with cannons for protection against pirates, leading the way for the other two ships, the Godspeed, which carried 52, and the Discovery, which carried a mere 21.  Unlike Raleigh’s expedition, this voyage included no women.  About half of the passengers were gentlemen, members of the upper class who were seeking adventure and riches.

Historian David Price writes that, “The men had come to the enterprise with a range of motives,and their hopes and fantasies would run likewise.  Most of the travelers were on board because they—-like the Virginia Company itself—-expected quick treasure.”

The colonists, writes historian Samuel Eliot Morison, “owned no property;  they were working for stockholders overseas.  Twice a day the men were marched to the fields or woods by beat of drum, twice marched back and into church.  They led an almost hopeless existence, for there seemed to be no future….No empire could have developed from a colony of this sort…The first factor in the transition was tobacco.  Its value for export was discovered in 1613 when John Rolfe, who married the Indian Princess Pocohontas, imported seed from the West Indies, crossed it with the local Indian grown tobacco, and produced a smooth smoke which captured the English market.  Virginia then went tobacco-mad;  it was even grown in the streets of Jamestown.”

Beyond this, reports Morison, “…the institution of private property was the second factor that saved Virginia.  When, after seven years, the terms of the Company’s hired men expired, those who chose to stay became tenant farmers and later were given their land outright.  This made a tremendous difference.  As Captain John Smith put it, ‘When our people were fed out of the common store, and laboured jointly together, glad was he who could slip from labour, or slumber over his taske, he cared not how;  nay, the most honest among them would hardly take so much true paines in a week, as now for themselves they will doe in a day.’  By 1617, a majority of the hardy, acclimated survivors were tenants.  Within ten years tenant plantations extended 20 miles along the James River, and total European population of Virginia was about a thousand.”

A third factor that ensured the success of Virginia was political, in the broadest sense. Captain John Smith put it in one sentence.  “No man will go from hence to have lesse freedome there than here.”  In the English conception of freedom the first and most important was “a government of laws, not men.”  The Company ordered Governor Sir George Yeardley to abolish arbitrary rule, introduce English common law and due process, encourage private property, and summons a representative assembly.  This assembly would have power with the appointed council, to pass local laws subject to the Company’s veto.”

Our society is increasingly diverse, with a growing population of men and women from throughout the world.  Many of them come from societies which have no experience of democracy.  If we do not transmit our history, our culture, and our philosophy of limited government, free speech, religious freedom and democratic and constitutional government, those concepts are unlikely to endure into the future.  There are important lessons to be learned from our history.  It is potentially suicidal not to transmit these lessons to the next generation.
                                                ##