[Salon] An interview with host Hrvoye P. Moric of the Politics and Empire website

https://gilbertdoctorow.substack.com/p/an-interview-with-host-hrvoye-p-moric

An interview with host Hrvoye P. Moric of the Politics and Empire website

I am pleased to present the link to a half-hour interview dealing with the Ukraine war which was recorded two days ago and has just been released.

 https://geopoliticsandempire.com/2023/02/16/gilbert-doctorow-us-russia-testing-red-lines

This web page provides not only the full video of the interview but also a transcript which, while not perfect, offers a fairly clear record of all the key points in the chat.

The free flowing format of the discussion provided an excellent opportunity to expand on the thoughts underlying my recent essay “The coming existential threat.” That essay has attracted a huge readership because it touches upon the concerns of one and all: what we can do to survive the present conflict given the possibilities it will escalate to a full-blown world war.

I end this introduction on an optimistic note.

In the United States, the antiwar movement will finally come alive this coming Sunday, 19 February, in several mass gatherings organized under the slogan “Rage Against the War Machine.” Former Congressman Ron Paul is one of the best known speakers who will address demonstrators on The Mall in downtown Washington, D.C.  On the same day a “Rage” demonstration is scheduled for San Francisco. My colleague and friend Ray McGovern will be one of the well known activists who address that gathering, in his case by remote. I understand that similar events will be organized in other cities across America.

For their part, the Germans, who are most consequential country in Europe as regards continuation of or settlement of the war, are also belatedly organizing public demonstrations under the aegis of wise, responsible and influential speakers led by Bundestag member Sahra Wagenknecht. On 25 February they will appear before the Brandenburg Gates in Berlin to call upon Chancellor Scholz to halt all shipments of arms to Ukraine and to press for a cease-fire and peace talks over Ukraine.

In short, it is time for readers of these lines to stand up and be counted on the side of the angels for the sake of our common welfare. Failure to do so leaves us only with the slim hope of an ‘every man for himself’ escape to some refuge from the conflagration that may consume the Northern Hemisphere if not the whole globe.

©Gilbert Doctorow, 2023