[Salon] Fwd: ‘But then why did you visit the West Bank?’

BLUF: “And a fascist one to boot!

Why everyone should subscribe to Mondoweiss, for news like this, revealing what our USG supports, with our ‘Right-wing Peaceniks,” like Trump and DeFascist, out in front enthusiastically joining in on the ethnic cleansing picking its pace up there under the current fascist government, so zealously supported by their U.S. counterparts, the “Traditional Conservatives” of the New Right. That U.S. Conservatives do so much in providing the political/legal theory for the Israeli "Legal Revolution,” is undoubtedly a point of pride for those Conservatives celebrating that Willmoore Kendall’s “Day Has Finally Arrived,” after so many years of well-deserved obscurity. With American libertarians enthusiastically supporting our rights-denying Conservatives who hold the “carrot” of tax cuts for Oligarchs before them, and always deliver, at the expense of us ordinary people. A "carrot” figuratively like the actual ones that used to be held in front of a mule (any resemblance between the two purely intentional :-), given how much their favored Oligarchs do to fuel our wars!

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Mondoweiss: Weekly Briefing" <newsletters@mondoweiss.net>
Subject: ‘But then why did you visit the West Bank?’
Date: July 30, 2023 at 3:01:41 PM EDT
To: todd.e.pierce@icloud.com

Weekly round-up from MondoweissView in browser
Email header image for the Weekly Briefing newsletter.

Advertising (Learn more)

Banner advertisement for our short documentary on the struggle to save the Palestinian community of Masafer Yatta from Israeli settlements.

‘But then why did you visit the West Bank?’

Mondoweiss Gaza Correspondent Tareq Hajjaj speaks with Nasser Abu Saif in Al-Shati Refugee Camp, Gaza, January 2023. (Photo: Mohammed Salem)

When I was young, a friend said, “Don’t throw around the word brilliant, most writing falls way short. Show me brilliance.”

Well, this week we ran brilliant pieces.

Tareq S. Hajjaj’s report from Gaza on the heat wave turning houses into furnaces is brilliant. Because Tareq has the ability to put simple observations in a series in an indelible manner, without a wasted word. And a moral punch.

Even though Dina’s doors and windows are flung wide open, the heat inside the apartment is unbearable, with no fans, air conditioning, or cold water in the fridge….

A single power plant operates Gaza. The total need for power in Gaza is about 600 megawatts. The available amount is 250. Israel controls the amount of fuel Gaza receives.

Then there’s Ner Kitri‘s piece, “The transition from a Jewish state to a true democracy will benefit all.” This piece is brilliant because it frames a complex question– the effect of Zionism on Jews– in clear and economical terms:

The ethnic cleansing and occupation of Palestine — what Herzl has aptly named “colonization” — has exacted a heavy cognitive and mental price for us as occupiers, many of whom are living in the very houses of the Palestinians who are not allowed to return to them. This means that we constantly need to shut out our consciences.

On an international level, the pretense that “Israel is the home of all Jews” also estranges Jews throughout the world from their actual homes — their own states and societies. This eerily mirrors the approach Jews worldwide, particularly in Europe, suffered from when their fellow countrymen politicized their Jewish identity and treated them as Jews rather than as fellow citizens.

Yes and let me add, the pretense that Israel is the home of all Jews turns American Jews into tools for Israel. And our politicians into cruel clowns. Supporting what anyone with a conscience recognizes as an apartheid state.

And a fascist one to boot. More brilliance– a memoir of Zionist interrogations going to and from Ben Gurion airport, by Adrian Kreutz:

“But then why did you visit the West Bank?”

“I was simply curious.”

“Why would you be curious about an Arab country?”

What chores our writers took on this week– and what accomplishment!

Thanks for reading,
Yumna Patel, Mondoweiss Palestine News Director

Phil Weiss, Founder & Senior Editor

Before you go

Mondoweiss is an independent, reader-funded publication. We publish stories and analysis about the struggle for freedom in Palestine that you will not find in corporate media. Our growing team relies on your support. Here are some ways you can help...

💸 Join our supporters and become a Mondoweiss donor today.

🗣️ Share Mondoweiss articles on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or any other social media platform you are active on.

📨 Forward this email to a friend by clicking this link.

🎧 Subscribe to our podcast anywhere you listen.
P.O. Box 442380
Detroit, Michigan, USA

You received this email because you signed up on our website or made a purchase from us.