[Salon] Alexander Lukashenko's call today for an immediate cessation of hostilities

https://gilbertdoctorow.substack.com/p/alexander-lukashenkos-call-today

Alexander Lukashenko's call today for an immediate cessation of hostilities in Ukraine and opening of peace talks without preconditions

I direct the attention of my Russian speaking subscribers to the video recording of an important and most timely speech delivered this morning by President Alexander Lukashenko to the Parliament and nation of Belarus.

The speech is long and I suggest that you start listening from minute 20 when Lukashenko sets out his proposal for the immediate cessation of hostilities in Ukraine with no further movements of troops or military equipment by either side and for the opening of peace talks without preconditions.

After a brief recapitulation of what led up to the conflict in Ukraine and of his own deep involvement in efforts to snuff it out nine years ago through what we know as the Minsk Accords, Lukashenko goes directly to the present moment, when, as he says, more than half a million casualties have been suffered by the armies on both sides in the war. He asks the most famous question in Russian political thinking for more than a hundred years:  Что делать? What is to be done?   And he makes a passionate plea for Peace.

You, at Harvard, who hosted the Pretender to the Belarus throne Tikhanovskaya in Cambridge last week, Tikhanovskaya who is backed by the pro-war Lithuanians and Poles: may you hang your heads in shame.

Belarus has an incumbent President at work in Minsk and he is doing his very best to bring peace to our very dangerous times.

Have a look:   ⚡️МОЩНАЯ РЕЧЬ ЛУКАШЕНКО! Президент обратился к народу Беларуси и Парламенту! // Послание Президента