[Salon] The Dramatic Decline Of American Political Life

The Dramatic Decline Of American Political Life
                              By
                     Allan C. Brownfeld
American political life is in serious decline. Trust in the federal government is at all-time low.  When it comes to Congress, 7 in 10 Americans—-72%—-have an unfavorable view.  Members of Congress have given ample reasons for the decline in public esteem.  In November, Rep. Tim Burchett (R-Tenn.) came up behind Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) and began yelling in his ear, accusing him of elbowing him in the back as they passed each other in a crowded hallway.  The same week, the Senate saw fireworks of its own as Sen. Mackwayne Mullin (R-Okla.) brought a hearing about corporate greed to a standstill as he confronted one witness, stood up and challenged him to a fistfight.

Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.), who led the effort to oust Kevin McCarthy as Speaker,says that, “This Congress has seen a substantial increase in breaches of decorum unlike anything we have seen since the pre-Civil War era.”  Joanne B. Freeman, a professor of American history at Yale and author of the book “Field of Blood,” about violence in Congress in the years preceding the Civil War, said, “Please stop providing fodder for ‘Field of Blood,’ volume two.”

Confrontations among lawmakers have become more commonplace in the House as more extreme members from each party place partisan wins over bipartisan compromise.  Months after her election to Congress, Rep. Marjorie Tayler Greene (R-Ga.) chased Rep.Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) off the House floor with taunts.  That same year, Greene got into a public shouting match with Rep. Debbie Dingell (D-Mich.) over abortion rights.

Earlier this year, Rep. Mike Rogers (R-Ala.) was physically restrained after lunging after Rep. Gaetz for continuing to block Kevin McCarthy from becoming speaker.  The House had not censured any sitting member for 11 years until 2021, when then-Speaker Nancy Pelosi /D-Calif.) led the effort to censure Rep. Paul Gosar (R-Ariz.) for circulating an anime video showing him killing Rep.Ocasio-Cortez and attacking President Biden.  “We’re living in what I would say are fairly polarized times,” said Sen, John Thune (R-S.D.), the No. 2 Senate Republican.  “emotions are running high and…it’s up to all of us to try to set a good example.”

In the case of Rep. George Santos (R-N.Y.), House investigators found “substantial evidence” that he knowingly violated ethics guidelines, House rules and criminal laws, according to a House Ethics Committee report.  The report detailed an array of misconduct that included Santos stealing money from his campaign, deceiving donors about how contributions would be used and engaging in fraudulent business dealings.  “Rep. Santos’ conduct warrants public condemnation, is beneath the dignity of the office, and has brought severe discredit upon the House,” declared Reps. Michael Guest (R-Miss.) and Susan Wild (D-Pa.) the committee’s chairman and senior Democrat.

Recently, former President Donald Trump characterized his political adversaries in these terms:  he said if he were elected, he would “root out the communists, Marxists, fascist and the radical-left thugs that live like vermin within the confines of our country.”

In the years I worked in the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives for, among others, Gerald Ford and George H.W. Bush, who went on to become president, I never heard members of one party characterize those of the other party in these terms.  Their goal was to form coalitions.  Together, Republicans and Democrats won the Cold War and advanced civil rights.