[Salon] Allowing Gaza children's sacrifice means death of humanity: UNICEF

https://english.almayadeen.net/news/politics/allowing-gaza-children-s-sacrifice-means-death-of-humanity

December 1, 2023

Allowing Gaza children's sacrifice means death of humanity: UNICEF

United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) spokesperson James Elder declared in a statement that voluntarily accepting the sacrifice by Gaza children is equivalent to humanity giving up.

"It is reckless to think more attacks on the people of Gaza will lead to anything other than carnage. And yet, there were three or four large blasts nearby while I was there," he said, adding: "To accept the sacrifice of the children in Gaza is humanity giving up. This is our last chance before we delve into seeking to explain yet another utterly avoidable tragedy."

This comes after the humanitarian truce ended and "Israel" resumed its aggression against Gaza, claiming that the Palestinian Resistance Hamas violated the agreement by opening fire on IOF stations.

Elder argued that the humanitarian situation including health, nutrition, water, and sanitation in Gaza are extremely dire and that any matter besides peace and at a rate of emergency will spell disaster for the children in the enclave.

He spoke of the presence of "a disaster of unparalleled magnitude for the children of Gaza."

"Surely, any conversation around Gaza has to begin with empathy. It's deeply unsettling to hear how some have been able to overlook the tragic deaths of these children and now, today, are seemingly comfortable with the horrors - the attacks - starting again," Elder continued.

"Israel" killed 109 Palestinians, including medics and journalists, just hours after the truce between Gaza and the occupation ended.

Back to square 1

The United Nations expressed deep regret over the resumption of the Israeli aggression on the Gaza Strip on Friday following the end of a truce.

“I deeply regret that military operations have started again in Gaza,” UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said on X.

The resumption of the Israeli aggression was deemed "catastrophic" by the UN's human rights chief, Volker Turk. He called for intensified efforts to achieve a ceasefire based on humanitarian and human rights considerations.

“Recent comments by Israeli political and military leaders indicating that they are planning to expand and intensify the military offensive are very troubling,” Türk added, as per AFP.

“The situation is beyond crisis point,” he stressed.