[Salon] Incredible, the Biden administration now says that Ukraine will have to sacrifice territory and “that’s been our theory of the case throughout”

Incredible, the Biden administration now says that Ukraine will have to sacrifice territory and “that’s been our theory of the case throughout”:

It's certainly not the theory of the case they told the Western public throughout...

And this BEGS the question: if the theory was always that Ukraine would lose out, why refuse to negotiate with Russia when there was a possibility not to have this war?