[Salon] Israeli commanders demand 'change of equation' in Lebanon war

https://new.thecradle.co/articles/israeli-commanders-demand-change-of-equation-in-lebanon-war

Israeli commanders demand 'change of equation' in Lebanon war

Senior Israeli army commanders have proposed calling a unilateral ceasefire with Hezbollah as a pretext to widen the war and justify using 'disproportionate force'

As Israel escalates its assassination campaign against officials in the Axis of Resistance, senior Israeli army officers are advocating more aggressive operations that will "change the equation" with Hezbollah in Lebanon, Ynet reported on 21 January.

Israel has carried out numerous high-profile assassinations in Lebanon in recent weeks, including the killing of Saleh al-Arouri, a top Hamas leader, and Wissam al-Tawil, a top Hezbollah commander.

Israel's latest strike in Lebanon targeted a car in Bint Jbeil on Sunday. Another killed several members of the Lebanese and Palestinian resistance in the area of Tyre (Sour) in southern Lebanon on Saturday.

However, according to the Israeli newspaper, such strikes have not been able to "fundamentally alter the reality" in northern Israel, where residents of the border settlements have been evacuated due to Hezbollah attacks and have been unable to return.

The newspaper said that "Israel, in effect, created a security zone within its own borders, leaving communities abandoned. It seems the government is unwilling to pay the heavy price of war with Lebanon in order to save the communities and fields in its north."

In response, some senior Israeli officers are demanding that Israel try a new strategy, which would involve announcing a unilateral ceasefire as a pretext to expand the war.

"It's time for a new equation," they said.

The commanders are proposing the army "announce that it would hold its fire for 48 hours, but warn that the next missile, rocket or bomb that lands in Israeli territory, especially on a civilian target, will prompt a massive response that would wreak havoc on south Lebanon."

The "disproportionate response" would include targeting "homes of Hezbollah operatives in the Shi'ite villages in the [border] area, which have thus far been mostly spared."

Presenting Hezbollah a chance for quiet along the border by declaring a unilateral ceasefire would make Israel not appear "keen to extend the war" and create "legitimacy for a broader action that would ultimately bring security back to the north."

Such a plan would need the approval of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defense Minister Yoav Gallant.

The commanders complained to Ynet that their "hands have been tied by the politicians."

"Why are we waiting for the Radwan force to strike?" one said. "Why are we increasing our forces, laying in wait? Hezbollah initiated the fighting, and it should be the one fearing our forces. This equation must change. "

In a recent tour of the border areas, Gallant said, "We are trying to exhaust diplomatic efforts, but if we have to, we must use force to allow residents in the north to return home."