[Salon] Ireland's PM says moving closer to formally recognizing Palestinian state

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/2024-04-12/ty-article-live/u-s-expects-iranian-attack-on-israel-as-gallant-vows-appropriate-response/0000018e-d003-d01b-abdf-f87fee120000?liveBlogItemId=1428431220#1428431220

Ireland's PM says moving closer to formally recognizing Palestinian state

Haaretz  April 12, 2024
Ireland's Taoiseach (Prime Minister) Simon Harris speaks to the media on the day of his meeting with Spain's Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez to discuss recognizing a Palestinian state, in Dublin on Friday.

Ireland's Taoiseach (Prime Minister) Simon Harris speaks to the media on the day of his meeting with Spain's Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez to discuss recognizing a Palestinian state, in Dublin on Friday.Credit: Clodagh Kilcoyne/Reuters

Ireland is close to formally recognizing a Palestinian state and would like to do so in concert with Spain and other like-minded countries, new prime minister Simon Harris said on Friday after meeting his Spanish counterpart.

Spain and Ireland last month announced alongside Malta and Slovenia that they would jointly work toward the recognition of a Palestinian state.

"Let me this evening say our assessment is that that point is coming much closer and we would like to move together in doing so," Harris said after meeting Sanchez, the first premier to visit Dublin since Harris became prime minister this week.

"When we move forward, we would like to do so with as many others as possible to lend weight to the decision and to send the strongest message. The people of Israel deserve a secure and peaceful future, so do the people of Palestine. Equal sovereignty, equal respect," Harris said.