[Salon] Two, three, many Rafahs

Forwarded this email? Subscribe here for more

Many years later, I was in Hanoi during the Christmas bombing of 1972. What I was trying to do was to examine the principles laid down at Nuremberg and see whether we had violated them in Vietnam. Whether we lived up to our own principles. I took the position that a number of things we did in Vietnam were violations of the laws of war. As for the bombing of North Vietnam, I did not believe that under the laws of war that was a crime. Maybe it should have been. But there was no precedent for declaring it as such.

Why did we refrain from bombing the center of Hanoi? I suppose because the public is increasingly aware of some limitations on warfare. Nuremberg has built up a body of laws and precedent that needs to be thought about. Why was there such a hullabaloo about the massacres in the camps in Lebanon? I think because in Nuremberg there was a systematic enforcement of these rules. I never would have gone to Hanoi had I not been involved in Nuremberg.

After all, the Holocaust was unprecedented in its scope. Surreal? I don’t know. I’m afraid the human capacity for getting hardened to testimony about this sort of thing is unlimited. After you’ve heard two, three days of it, more of it is not new. Take a small child. He takes everything for granted. I remember when my own children, my two little girls, aged five and seven, came to Nuremberg, I was showing them the bomb-damaged houses. ‘The houses are broken’, they said. After they’d seen one or two of them, they were no longer very interested.

— Telford Taylor