Re: [Salon] IMPORTANT ARTICLE IN THE WSJ on LIGHTHIZER entitled: " He Helped Trump Remake Global Trade. His Work Isn’t Done."

I agree with Chas. My point is and was, that while China will try gradually to shuck the dollar, it will not do so quickly in dramatic ways. It is highly unlikely that China drop the dollar all at once or quickly because it is the largest foreign holder of dollars and its stash is so large that any quick action would present serious risk of ruining its situation. I wish China would act more dramatically because that would force us to get serious. But I think it unlikely that Beijing will be taking dramatic dollar moves. Clyde

From: Chas Freeman <cwfresidence@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, May 13, 2024 6:40 PM
To: Clyde Prestowitz <presto@econstrat.org>
Cc: Warren Coats <wcoats@gmail.com>; Robert C. Randolph <rrandolph@csradr.com>; Pat Mulloy <pamulloy@aol.com>; Chas Freeman <salon@committeefortherepublic.org>; Bruce Fein <bruce@feinpoints.com>
Subject: Re: [Salon] IMPORTANT ARTICLE IN THE WSJ on LIGHTHIZER entitled: " He Helped Trump Remake Global Trade. His Work Isn’t Done."

The Chinese are progressively (slowly) liquidating their investment in America.  But it would be a mistake to judge that their policies toward us (and our persistent deficits) will be driven by fear of losing money.  They will minimize their loss if they can but this will not determine their politico-economic strategy.  That is driven by our hostility to them and our apparent determination to rejoin their unfinished civil war on the losing side.

Chas