[Salon] SOUTH AFRICA AND ISRAEL: SOME PERSONAL REFLECTIONS

SOUTH AFRICA AND ISRAEL: SOME PERSONAL REFLECTIONS
                                            BY
                             ALLAN C. BROWNFELD
———————————————————————————————————————-
Increasingly, Israel’s treatment of Palestinians is being compared to South Africa’s  treatment of its black population in the years of apartheid.  In fact, such groups as Human Rights Watch, Amnesty International, and the Israeli human rights organization B’Tselem have used the term “apartheid” to characterize Israel’s treatment of its indigenous Palestinian population.

In the West Bank, which Israel has occupied in violation of international law for more than 50 years, Palestinians have almost no legal rights and no opportunity to vote for the government under which they are compelled to live.  They live side by side with Israeli settlers, who have full legal rights—-and the right to vote.  Members of the current Israeli government speak of expanding Jewish settlements and of annexing the entire area and removing its Palestinian population.  President Biden continues to speak of a “two-state solution,” which members of the Netanyahu government say will never be permitted.

During the years of apartheid, I was a frequent visitor to South Africa.  I wrote a column from Washington that appeared in the widely read Afrikaans language  newspapers Die Burger in Cape Town and Beeld in Johannesburg as well as the English-language news magazine To The Point.  I got to know many South Africans, both Afrikaans and English speaking.  As racial tensions in the country grew, the basic response of those with whom I became friends was, “We know apartheid is wrong.  We are Western Christian people who believe in freedom.  This contradicts our values.  If we do not abandon apartheid, our children will leave.  They will go to America, Canada, Australia and elsewhere.  The question we have is, how can we abandon apartheid without becoming like the one-party dictatorships which surround us in Africa?”  Then, they took a chance to do the right thing.

White South Africans, recognizing that their treatment of black South Africans violated their basic values, abandoned apartheid. In 1989 Frederik Willem de Klerk  became president.  He freed Nelson Mandela from 27 years imprisonment and transformed South Africa into a constitutional democracy.  In 1993, de Klerk along with Nelson Mandela was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for dismantling apartheid.

I keep hoping that a leader like President de Klerk will emerge in Israel and bring the mistreatment of Palestinians to an end.  Many Israelis recognize that an injustice has been done.  Consider the words of Prof. David Shulman of the Hebrew University:  “No matter how we look at it, unless our minds have been poisoned by the ideologies of the religious right, the occupation is a crime.  It is first of all based on the permanent disenfranchisement of a huge population…In the end, it is the ongoing moral failure of the country as a whole that is most consequential, most dangerous, most unacceptable.  This failure weighs…heavily on our humanity.  We are, so we claim, the children of the prophets.  Once, they say, we were slaves in Egypt.  We know all that can be known about slavery, suffering, prejudice, ghettos, hate, expulsion, exile.  I find it astonishing that we, of all people, have reinvented apartheid in the West Bank.”

More and more Jewish Americans are speaking out against Israel’s war in Gaza.  While everyone was outraged at the Hamas terrorist  attack on Oct. 7, the Israeli response, and the killing of at least 35,000 Palestinians so far, including large numbers of women and children, has outraged many as well.  Aryeh  Neier, whose Jewish family left Nazi Germany to escape the Holocaust, is one.  A founder of Human Rights Watch and a long time leader of the American Civil Liberties Union, he says that he has reluctantly concluded that the Israeli government is engaged in genocide.  He said he cannot understand why the Israeli government does not arrest extremist settlers who destroy trucks bringing food and medicine to the starving people of Gaza.  Permitting such behavior, in his view, can be considered the kind of behavior meriting the designation as “genocide.”

The Jewish newspaper The Forward (May 6, 2024) featured a story about Vermont Jewish activist Jules Rabin who demonstrated on the streets of Montpelier, Vermont on his 100th birthday.  A World War 11 veteran, a graduate of Harvard and a former Goddard College professor, he called the tragedy of Gaza “a piecemeal Holocaust.”  He appeared on a Vermont podcast and told host David Goodman that Israel’s treatment of Palestinians resembles what the Germans did to Jews  “in the Warsaw ghetto and everywhere else in history.”

In Rabin’s view, the Holocaust is one of the horrors in history.  But, he points out, the Palestinians had nothing to do with it.  Yet their country was turned over to European Jews to make up for the destruction of Jews by Nazi Germany.  He asks, “How could the Nazi genocide of Jews from 1933-1945 be followed by the Israeli genocide of Palestinians today?”  If the world wanted to provide restitution to the Jews after World War 11, Rabin declares, it should have given them Prussia or Bavaria.  That might have involved a bit of justice.  But, instead, the Palestinians were displaced from their country.

None of what is happening today could take place without massive U.S. military aid to Israel.  President Biden says he supports a two-state solution and the creation of a Palestinian state.  But Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu says there will never be a Palestinian state while he is in office.  Members of his cabinet speak of filling the West Bank with Jewish settlements, annexing the territory and expelling its indigenous population.  Sadly, the U.S. seems to be on the wrong side of history.

Respected Jewish voices were concerned about where Zionism would lead from its very beginning in the 19th century.  Albert Einstein, alluding to Nazism in a 1938 talk, warned an audience of Zionist activists against the temptation to create a state imbued “with a narrow nationalism within our own ranks against which we have already had to fight strongly even without a Jewish state.”

In his book “What Is Modern Israel?,” Professor Yakov Rabkin of the University of Montreal, an Orthodox Jew, shows that Zionism was conceived as a clear break with Judaism and the Jewish religious tradition. In his view, it must be seen in the context of of European ethnic nationalism, colonial expansion and geopolitical interests rather than as an incarnation of Biblical prophecies or a culmination of Jewish history.  The religious idea of a Jewish return to Palestine had nothing to do with the political enterprise of Zionism.

“Jewish tradition,” writes Rabkin, “holds that the idea of return must be part of a messianic project rather than the human initiative of migration to the Holy Land…There was little room for Jewish tradition in the Zionist scheme…It is not the physical geography of the Biblical land of Israel which is essential for Jews but the obligation to follow the commandments of the Torah.”

Where all of this will end, none of us can know.  What we do know is that the Palestinians are the final victims of the Holocaust, an extraordinary crime committed by others.  Our own country is playing a negative role by providing aid and the most advanced arms to an Israeli government determined to terrorize Palestinians out of the country and committed to treating those who remain as second-class citizens, what has been widely described as apartheid.

I remember apartheid in South Africa and the brave men and women who abandoned it.  Let us hope that similar men and women will arise in Israel.
                                                    ##
Allan C. Brownfeld is a nationally syndicated columnist and is editor of ISSUES, the quarterly journal of the American Council for Judaism (www.acjna.org