[Salon] Iran's President-elect Masoud Pezeshkian rejects US pressure

https://www.thenationalnews.com/news/mena/2024/07/13/iran-president-pezeshkian-foreign-policy/

Iran's President-elect Masoud Pezeshkian rejects US pressure

Reformist who won recent election praises China and Russia as he lays out foreign policy priorities

The National    July 13, 2024

Iran's President-elect Masoud Pezeshkian during a visit to the shrine of the Islamic Republic's founder Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini on July 6, 2024 in Tehran, Iran. Getty Images
Iran's President-elect Masoud Pezeshkian during a visit to the shrine of the Islamic Republic's founder Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini on July 6, 2024 in Tehran, Iran. Getty Images

Iran President-elect Masoud Pezeshkian has rejected US pressure and praised Tehran's allies in a message outlining his foreign policy positions to the nation as he prepares to take office.

“The United States … needs to recognise the reality and understand, once and for all, that Iran does not – and will not – respond to pressure [and] that Iran’s defence doctrine does not include nuclear weapons,” Mr Pezeshkian said in the statement.

Mr Pezeshkian, a moderate who promised to lessen Iran's international isolation,said that Tehran would expand ties with neighbours and engage with Europe.

However, he also praised China and Russia, suggesting a degree of continuity in Iran's allegiances and positions.

“China and Russia have consistently stood by us during challenging times. We deeply value this friendship.

“Russia is a valued strategic ally and neighbour to Iran, and my administration will remain committed to expanding and enhancing our co-operation,” Mr Pezeshkian said.

He added that Tehran, which has been accused of sending military drones to Russia to be used in Ukraine, would support initiatives aimed at ending the war there.

Mr Pezeshkian has also pledged to re-engage with the international community over Iran's nuclear programme. Tehran maintains that it is developing nuclear energy for domestic use, but critics worry the country is trying to develop a nuclear bomb.

During presidential debates, the 69-year-old heart surgeon defended former president Hassan Rouhani, who signed the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action nuclear deal with the US in 2015.

President Donald Trump abandoned the treaty in 2018 and increased sanctions on Iran. Mr Pezeshkian accused hardline rivals of sabotaging attempts by Mr Rouhani to renegotiate the treaty in 2021.

He now has a popular mandate to revive nuclear negotiations with the US. But ultimate decision-making in Iran is made by supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, with the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps having a significant influence.

He may also face a second Trump term. Although the former president is seen as unlikely to engage with Iran on the nuclear issue, Mr Pezeshkian said “we can do business with him” during the presidential debates.

During his election campaign, Mr Pezeshkian also praised Iran's recently improved relations with its Arab neighbours, especially Saudi Arabia and the UAE.

“The Iranian people have entrusted me with a strong mandate to vigorously pursue constructive engagement on the international stage while insisting on our rights, our dignity and our deserved role in the region and the world,” said Mr Pezeshkian.

“I extend an open invitation to those willing to join us in this historic endeavour,” he added.

The statement was titled My Message to the New World and published in the Tehran Times on Saturday.

He defeated hardline candidate Saeed Jalili by nearly three million votes in a run-off on July 5.

The election was called after former president Ebrahim Raisi died in a helicopter crash in northern Iran.