[Salon] Harris After Netanyahu Meeting: 'We Cannot Look Away From the Dire Humanitarian Crisis in Gaza. End the War; Sign the Deal'

Haaretz

Harris After Netanyahu Meeting: 'We Cannot Look Away From the Dire Humanitarian Crisis in Gaza. End the War; Sign the De

al'

Jul 25, 2024

A Hamas leader in the West Bank died in Israeli custody after a deterioration in his health condition, a Palestinian governmental body said early on Friday.

Mustafa Muhammad Abu Ara, 63, died after being transferred to a hospital from the Ramon jail in southern Israel, the Palestinian Commission of Detainees Affairs said in a statement.

"Before his arrest, he was suffering from serious health problems and needed intensive medical follow-up. However, from the moment of his arrest, Sheikh Abu Ara, like all prisoners, has faced unprecedented crimes ... since the beginning of the war of extermination."

Abu Ara, who was arrested in October last year, was subjected to torture and deprived of medical treatment, the Palestinian body said. There was no immediate comment from Israel.

At least 18 Palestinians have died in Israeli custody since the start of the Gaza war on Oct. 7, the Palestinian Prisoners Association said last month.

U.S. Vice President Kamala Harris said she had a "frank and constructive meeting" with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Thursday and reiterated her "unwavering commitment" to the U.S. ally's security.

The vice president and presumptive Democratic presidential candidate added that she told the Israeli prime minister that it is time to end the war and sign off on a cease-fire and hostage-release deal.

"It is time for this war to end and end in a way where Israel is secure, all the hostages are released, the suffering of Palestinians in Gaza ends, and the Palestinian people can exercise their right to freedom, dignity, and self-determination," Harris told reporters after the meeting. "Israel has a right to defend itself. And how it does so matters," she added.

She said she raised her serious concerns about the scale of human suffering in Gaza. "I made clear my serious concern about the dire humanitarian situation there," she said. "I will not be silent. We cannot look away."

She also reiterated her commitment to the two-state solution "the only path that ensures Israel remains a secure Jewish and democratic state, and one that ensures Palestinians can finally realize the freedom, security, and prosperity that they rightly deserve."