[Salon] how are we supposed to win the middle east if we can't fuel our ships?

Good morning! I just wrote this assessment of the grounding of the USNS Big Horn (Navy refueler) off the coast of Oman, and how it has exposed a host of vulnerabilities facing the Navy writ large: a shortage of support ships and civilian mariners being the biggest. But it also speaks to systematic problems with budgets and procurement and more importantly the bad strategy that keeps us in places like the Red Sea fighting futile conflicts with the Houthis, or as Lyle Goldstein says, streaming around, flag waving and trying to look tough in the Asia Pacific.

https://responsiblestatecraft.org/refueling-navy-middle-east/

Please give it a read and share if you are so inclined!

Kel

--

Kelley Beaucar Vlahos
Senior Advisor, Quincy Institute/Editorial Director, Responsible Statecraft