[Salon] Trump on October 7 Anniversary: Israel Needs to Do One Thing – 'Get Smart About Trump' - U.S. News - Haaretz.com

Title: Trump on October 7 Anniversary: Israel Needs to Do One Thing – 'Get Smart About Trump' - U.S. News - Haaretz.com
 my counter-propaganda effort to the vigorous pro-Trump propaganda we receive here, even when it’s only “propaganda by omission.” So I try and fill in those “omissions” of Quincy Institute and The American Conservative in their promotion to put Trump/Vance in as the U.S.’ "First National Conservative” presidency, as the aforesaid have made clear since the first Trump campaign was their objective.

Remember all the B.S. we’ve been fed here since about 2015, that “Trump was the “anti-NeoCon,” to especially include by someone who allegedly grew up on an Israeli settlement? As I said at the time, and ever since, he’s worse: he’s a "Traditional Conservative,” the "trunk” the NeoCons are a branch of, by way of Scoop Jackson, by way of Barry Goldwater. So in the political theory sense, post-McGovern “hawkish Democrats,” as simply retooled “Goldwaterites,” to include Biden/Harris. That doesn’t exonerate the even worse “Traditional Conservatives” they’re a branch off of, but only goes to show how successful were the origin

BLUF: Trump on Gaza:

"He also suggested that Gaza's geography represents a potential economic windfall, echoing comments from his son-in-law Jared Kushner earlier this year.

<Gaza City, battered by bombings along the Mediterranean coast, last April., Credit: AFP >
Gaza City, battered by bombings along the Mediterranean coast, last April.Credit: AFP

"It could be better than Monaco. It has the best location in the Middle East, the best water, the best everything. It's got, it is the best. I've said it for years. You know, I've been there, and it's rough. It's a rough place, before, you know, all of the attacks and before the back-and-forth that's happened over the last couple of years," Trump said.

"I said, wow, look at this. I mean, they have the back of a plant facing the ocean, you know. There was no ocean as far as that was concerned. They never took advantage of it. You know, as a developer, it could be the most beautiful place – the weather, the water, the whole thing, the climate," Trump continued.

"He added, "It could be so beautiful. It could be the best thing in the Middle East, but it could be one of the best places in the world. And you know, there were other civilizations. I don't know if you know this; it's crazy, but that's been a rough neighborhood. That's been a rough place. You know, underneath that are two other civilizations where they were wiped out, and they started over and built on top."

Leaving unsaid: And it won’t be “marred” with Palestinians.

Trump on October 7 Anniversary: Israel Needs to Do One Thing – 'Get Smart About Trump' - U.S. News - Haaretz.com

WASHINGTON — Former U.S. President Donald Trump commemorated the one-year anniversary of the October 7 attack by imploring Israel to "get smart about Trump" – perhaps the most blatant example of the Republican presidential nominee trafficking in dual loyalty tropes by conflating American Jews with the State of Israel.

"I think that Israel has to do one thing. They have to get smart about Trump, because they don't back me. I did more for Israel than anybody. I did more for the Jewish people than anybody. And it's not reciprocal, as they say, not reciprocal," he told the Hugh Hewitt Show. "We should have 100 percent, and I'll never hit that, but we should have 100 percent."

Lighting a memorial candle at his resort in Florida to mark October 7 alongside Miriam Adelson – who said "had he been in the White House a year ago, I'm totally convinced that October 7 wouldn't have happened" – Trump reiterated his commitment to Israel's defense.

"I will not allow the Jewish state to be threatened with destruction, I will not allow another Holocaust of the Jewish people, I will not allow a jihad to be waged on America or its allies, and I will support Israel's right to win its war on terror," he said.

Trump also asserted that antisemitism is only a problem within the Democratic Party, saying "not in the Republican Party, I will tell you that. And I say that the Republican Party has not been infected by this horrible disease, and hopefully it won't be. It won't be as long I'm in charge."

"November 5 will be the most important date in the history of our country, I think it will also be the most important day in the history of Israel," he added.

Trump's remarks come days after he warned that American Jews would be held responsible if he loses the 2024 election, which resulted in widespread condemnation from the U.S. Jewish establishment. Trump commemorated the anniversary of the Hamas attack by visiting the New York grave site of late Chabad Rabbi Menachem Mendel Schneerson, before holding an event at his Miami country club later in the evening.

"I think Israel will recover, and maybe recover much stronger than in the past," he continued. "I think what they've done with the pagers, I mean, the pagers – did you ever hear anything like that? But with the walkie-talkies and pagers and all of the different things, I think they've shown a level of warfare that's been pretty amazing, whether you're for them or not. It's been amazing."

<Republican presidential nominee and former U.S. President Donald Trump participates in an event commemorating the one-year anniversary of the October 7 Hamas attacks on Israel, at his golf resort in Doral, Florida., Credit: Brian Snyder/ REUTERS>
Republican presidential nominee and former U.S. President Donald Trump participates in an event commemorating the one-year anniversary of the October 7 Hamas attacks on Israel, at his golf resort in Doral, Florida.Credit: Brian Snyder/ REUTERS

Trump further politicized the anniversary by attacking the Biden administration and the president's relationship with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, saying, "You always have to listen to a president, and then you have to do whatever you want. Now, Bibi was held up a little bit because, psychologically, you have a president. He probably would have been further along, but he's pretty far along. He's not listening at all, you know that. They don't even speak."