The United States, Egypt and Qatar, who are mediating the cease-fire negotiations between Israel and Hamas, are conducting intensive talks with both sides in order to reach a deal prior to the Israeli invasion to occupy Gaza City, Saudi channel Asharq News reported on Saturday.
Asharq News cited sources familiar with the negotiations who said that the talks discuss a comprehensive proposal package including the end of the war, a full Israeli withdrawal from the Gaza Strip, and the release of all Israeli hostages. Also on the table are the disarmament of Hamas and the expulsion of some of Hamas' senior officials from Gaza, as well as the establishment of a local professional government.
According to the report, the three countries are discussing the proposal between themselves first, before presenting the plan to Israel and Hamas. The sources said that there is an opportunity to reach an agreement, unless Israel is determined to continue its war in Gaza.
A Hamas official told Asharq News that the group is willing to reach a deal. "We have shown a great deal of flexibility in recent talks that preceded the collapse of negotiations, but if the fighting is imposed on us, we will fight as we have done in the last 21 months," he said .
Hostage deal protest on Saturday in Tel Aviv.Credit: Itai Ron
Sources involved with the negotiations also noted that Hamas is showing flexibility in an attempt to reach a deal, but is also preparing for a scenario in which Israel will reject the proposals. In an official statement Hamas released earlier on Saturday, the group wrote that it is willing to reach a "general deal to release all the prisoners of the occupation in a way that would bring an end to the war and to the withdrawal of enemy forces."
Overnight into Friday, following a 10-hour marathon overnight meeting, Israel's security cabinet approved Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's proposal to take over Gaza City.
A senior Israeli official told Haaretz that there is currently no plan to invade and occupy the refugee camps in the central Gaza Strip, adding that Israel can take effective control over Gaza City without Israeli troops being present throughout its territory.
According to sources familiar with the details of the meeting, the evacuation of Gaza City residents to alternative areas is scheduled to be completed by October 7, after which the military takeover will begin.
Israeli military officials have opposed the takeover plan approved by the cabinet, arguing for launching targeted raids and taking over main access routes in order to divide the Strip.