[Salon] Iran Is Getting Ready for War With the U.S.



Iran Is Getting Ready for War With the U.S.

Confronting its biggest threat in decades, the regime in Tehran is trying to boost its odds of survival if diplomatic talks fall through

Feb. 18, 2026 The Wall Street Journal

A member of Iran's Revolutionary Guard stands guard at the Azadi monument, holding a rifle.Iran hopes that flexing its military muscle will send a warning to the U.S.  Vahid Salemi/AP

  • Iran is preparing for war by deploying forces, fortifying nuclear sites, and expanding domestic crackdowns amid military threats.
    View more

Iran’s leaders want to reach a nuclear deal with the U.S., but they are also rushing to prepare for war in case talks between the countries fail.

Tehran is deploying its forces, dispersing decision-making authority, fortifying its nuclear sites and expanding its crackdown on domestic dissent. The moves reflect its leaders’ belief that the survival of the regime itself is at stake.

Domestically, the Islamic Republic is more vulnerable than it has been in decades. Its leaders are facing widespread popular discontent over the worsening economic picture and the mass killing of protesters last month. Meanwhile, the U.S. has deployed two aircraft carriers and a host of other warships and jet fighters to the region in preparation for a possible attack.

“Iran is facing its worst military threat since 1988,” when the eight-year war with Iraq ended, said Farzan Sabet, an analyst on Iran and Middle East security at the Geneva Graduate Institute in Switzerland. “Iran is preparing for strikes by putting its security and political leadership on high alert to prevent decapitation and to protect its nuclear facilities.”

A missile or rocket launching with a fiery trail into the sky, next to an Iranian flag flying on a hill, during a military exercise.Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps is taking part in military drills in the Persian Gulf. SEPAHNEWS HANDOUT/EPA/Shutterstock

Iranian officials have presented some concessions in pursuit of a nuclear deal, but Vice President JD Vance said Tuesday the offers have fallen short of the red lines set by the U.S., which wants Iran deprived of the ability to make a nuclear weapon. While Iran’s foreign minister publicly said the talks had made progress, the government now fears that the gap between what Tehran is willing to offer and what Washington is willing to accept may be unbridgeable, an Iranian official said.

Ali Larijani, the head of Iran’s National Security Council, said while Iran doesn’t want war, it is ready if one starts.

“We reviewed our weaknesses and addressed them,” he said in an interview aired Sunday on Al Jazeera. “If war is imposed on us, we will respond.”

Iran’s leaders are preparing for an attack that could disrupt its chain of command. The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps earlier this month announced plans to revive its so-called “mosaic defense” strategy, which gives commanders the autonomy to issue orders to their units. The strategy is designed to make the Islamic Republic more resilient to foreign attacks.

Military deployments

Iran is flexing its military muscle as best it can, sending the message that its armed forces have the capability of disrupting the global oil trade and of hitting U.S. interests across the Middle East.

Naval units of the paramilitary Revolutionary Guard were deployed this week to the Strait of Hormuz. The strategic waterway connects the Persian Gulf to the wider Indian Ocean and around a fifth of the world’s oil supply passes through it.

Footage aired on state-linked Iranian media showed cruise missiles being launched from trucks along the coast and from boats as an oil tanker sailed in the background. The waterway is now under constant surveillance, Alireza Tangsiri, the commander of the Revolutionary Guard’s navy, said in remarks published in state-run media on Monday.

A Russian warship arrived at the Strait of Hormuz and docked at the Iranian port town of Bandar Abbas ahead of a military exercise planned for Thursday, according to Iranian and Russian state-run media.

The exercises are taking place not far from the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln, which is sailing off the coast of Oman.

“More dangerous than the American warship is the weapon that can send it to the bottom of the sea,” Iran’s supreme leader, Ali Khamenei, said Tuesday. 

You may also like
CheckboxEmbed code copied to clipboard
WSJ’s Shelby Holliday explains the massive U.S. military presence in the Middle East as President Trump amps up pressure on Iran over its nuclear program. Illustration: Ryan Trefes

Israel’s 12-day war in June exposed Iran’s military inferiority and the limits of regional militia allies such as Hezbollah in Lebanon. But it also gave Iran the opportunity to test and refine its war tactics, improving the hit rate of its longer-range missiles as the war went on.

Tehran has an estimated 2,000 midrange ballistic missiles that can strike as far as Israel. It also has significant stockpiles of short-range missiles capable of reaching U.S. bases in the Gulf and ships in the Strait of Hormuz, along with significant stockpiles of antiship cruise missiles and torpedo boats.

Iran has tested its air-defense systems in a recent series of drills focused on responding to possible drone and missile attacks on sensitive locations, including the nuclear sites, according to state-run media.

Tehran’s municipality has identified metro stations, parking lots and other locations that could serve as bomb shelters, Ali Nasiri, a crisis management official, told state media in late January. Iranians have criticized the government for failing to shelter them last June.

Hardening nuclear sites

Iran has also been conducting work at its nuclear sites to better protect them from strikes, according to satellite imagery published and analyzed by the Institute for Science and International Security, a think tank based in Washington.

The satellite images show that Tehran has been hardening and strengthening tunnel entrances at its Isfahan site—where Iran is believed to have kept much of its highly enriched uranium and which was heavily damaged by U.S. and Israeli attacks last June—and at a deep underground tunnel complex in what is known as Pickaxe Mountain.

Isfahan Nuclear

Complex

Feb. 8, 2026

Northern entrance

Isfahan

IRAN

Middle entrance

Southern

entrance

200 ft.

Northern entrance

Tunnel entrance backfilled with soil

Earth piled on top of entrance

to increase overburden

Chicane barriers for passive defense

Curved vehicle access

pathway and entrance gate

Middle entrance

Southern entrance

No more visible activity

in soil removal area

Approximate location

of below-grade conduit,

now buried

Completely buried tunnel entrance

Tunnel entrance

completely buried

Probable utilities alcove, now backfilled with soil

Possible ventilation shaft

Sources: Vantor (satellite image); Institute for Science and International Security (analysis)

Emma Brown/WSJ

Pickaxe Mountain Facility

Feb. 10, 2026

Staging area

Western tunnel

entrances

Eastern tunnel

entrances

Pickaxe

Mountain

IRAN

500 ft.

Western entrances

Eastern entrances

Buried

powerlines

Fresh concrete

Rock and soil

New concrete-reinforced headworks

for the tunnel entrance extension

provides structure for increased

overburden

Cement

mixer

Truck-mounted

concrete boom pump

Loaded dump trucks

Sources: Vantor (satellite image); Institute for Science and International Security (analysis)

Emma Brown/WSJ

The Pickaxe tunnels, which Western officials say Iran has been working on for years, weren’t targeted by the U.S. or Israel last summer. Western and Israeli officials believe Iran was developing the tunnels to carry out undeclared nuclear work, including possible enrichment of uranium. The images at Pickaxe show movement of vehicles including dump trucks, cement mixers and cranes at the site to pour concrete, rock and soil on the tunnel entrances.

The work is designed to “dampen any potential airstrikes and also make ground access in a special forces raid to seize or destroy any highly enriched uranium that may be housed inside difficult,” the institute said in a report.

The institute also found that Iran recently built a concrete shell over a building at its Parchin military site, where Iran had conducted nuclear-related work. Israel bombed the site in 2024.

Stifling dissent

Iran’s leaders want to rule out the possibility that U.S. strikes could trigger a new wave of disruptive antigovernment unrest.

The Revolutionary Guard and intelligence forces have set up around 100 monitoring points around Tehran to block potential insurgents or foreign forces, Guard commander Hossein Nejat said in comments published by the state-linked Tasnim News Agency, which is affiliated to Iran’s security forces.

Security forces are also continuing to hunt down people who participated in last month’s protests, including by searching for them in schools and by asking hospitals for health records with the identities of those treated for protest-related injuries, according to rights groups and residents.

US sailors directing EA-18G Growler aircraft on the USS Abraham Lincoln flight deck.The USS Abraham Lincoln is sailing off the coast of Oman. Zoe Simpson/U.S. NAVY/AFP/Getty Images

Dissidents, including activists and reformist politicians who criticized the government’s bloody suppression of the protests, are being arrested. Political detainees have been subject to harsh treatment and often denied access to lawyers, according to rights groups. Among them is Nobel Peace Prize laureate Narges Mohammadi, who was recently physically abused in prison, according to the foundation run by her family members. Mohammadi was beaten and dragged on the floor by her hair, the foundation said.

More than 53,000 people have been arrested since the start of the protests, according to Human Rights Activists in Iran. The U.S.-based group has so far confirmed the deaths of more than 7,000 people since the demonstrations began in late December.

The killings have fueled a second wave of popular anger. Many Iranians shout antigovernment slogans from their windows at night. Traditional mourning ceremonies have become occasions for friends and families of victims to show their opposition to the regime.

In the central city of Abdanan, a large crowd on Tuesday chanted “Death to Khamenei” during an outdoor memorial ceremony at the local cemetery, according to footage verified by Storyful, which is owned by News Corp, the parent company of The Wall Street Journal. Security forces responded by opening fire on the mourners.

Copyright ©2026 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved. 87990cbe856818d5eddac44c7b1cdeb8

Margherita Stancati is a correspondent for The Wall Street Journal based in Rome. She has reported from over a dozen countries for the paper and was previously posted in the Middle East, Afghanistan and India. She writes about a wide range of topics, including conflict, politics, energy and social change.

Margherita was part of a reporting team whose coverage of the Taliban takeover of Afghanistan was a 2022 Pulitzer Prize finalist in international reporting. The Society of Publishers in Asia in 2022 gave Margherita and her colleagues its breaking news award for their coverage of the fall of Kabul. Her work was also a runner-up in SOPA's award for excellence in reporting on women's issues.

Laurence Norman is a reporter for The Wall Street Journal.

Benoit Faucon is a Middle East correspondent for The Wall Street Journal. He focuses on the geopolitics of oil, Iran, and Russia's involvement in Africa and the Middle East. He also has strayed into investigative stories such as pharmaceutical counterfeits, sanctions, money laundering and terror finance.

His work was part of an award-winning packag



This archive was generated by a fusion of Pipermail (Mailman edition) and MHonArc.