U.S. President Donald Trump said Thursday he would "probably" remove American troops from Spain and Italy, in renewed attacks against Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez and Italian leader Giorgia Meloni.
Speaking to reporters in the Oval Office, the American leader said Italy had "not been of any help to us," and accused Spain of being "absolutely horrible." Both Spain and Italy have denied U.S. military planes that are taking part in the Iran war from using their bases.
The remarks follow similar threats aimed at Germany's Chancellor Friedrich Merz earlier this week. All three European NATO allies have been critical of the U.S.-Israel war on Iran.
Sánchez has styled himself as a European counterweight to Trump, while Meloni — one of Trump's European staunchest allies after his reelection in 2024 — has been distancing herself from the U.S. president recently, in a bid to save her premiership ahead of the national election expected in 2027. Merz said the U.S. is getting "humiliated" by Iran in the Middle East conflict.