In the early morning hours of May 6, Donald J. Trump woke up to another day of leisure and luxury at his residence inside the White House. He did not start the day focused on bringing costs down for the American people or determined to permanently end his war in Iran. But instead, by daydreaming about his palatial gold-plated ballroom.
The construction project, which is always top of mind for him, had entered a dangerous new phase. With the cost ballooning to nearly five times the price he originally stated, and the reality of his promise of “private funding” collapsing in front of him, Trump’s panic was setting in as he knew the time had come for the American people to know the truth.
He had no intentions of paying for it himself, and there was no other funding lined up. He knew that his only option was to convince the American people that using taxpayer money for it was somehow perfectly reasonable. And that even though the project would cost dramatically more than he originally claimed, it was still somehow “under budget.”
And at 7:32 AM, the President of the United States posted on Truth Social that “the original price was 200 Million Dollars, the double sized, highest quality completed project will be something less than 400 Million Dollars. It will be magnificent, safe, and secure!” before adding that “the Fake News” will try “to make it look like there was a cost overrun. Actually, it is coming in ahead of schedule, and under budget!”
He actually used the words “under budget.” That’s what he said about a project that started at $200 million, climbed to $250 million, then $300 million, then $400 million, and now, as of this week, carries a $1 billion taxpayer-funded “security upgrades” request hidden deep inside a Senate reconciliation bill by Republicans. A project he promised, over and over again, would never cost the public a single dime of taxpayer money.
And that’s the part that is so deeply troubling. Not just that he tore down the entire East Wing of the White House after promising he wouldn’t. Or even the staggering amount of money being spent that could instead be used to address the real needs of the very Americans paying into the government funding it.
It was the lie and the arrogance behind it. The assumption that ordinary Americans would simply stop paying attention and accept what was happening as the numbers ballooned higher and higher until the corruption itself became too exhausting to track.
But we haven’t stopped caring, and we can see exactly what he is doing. Because back on November 30, 2025, less than six months ago, he posted that the ballroom was being built “with all private donations and funding (ZERO cost to the American Taxpayer!).” He called it “the most beautiful and spectacular Ballroom anywhere in the World” and boasted that “no other President was equipped to do” it. “But I am.”
Before that, on July 31, 2025, the day he announced the project, he told reporters it “won’t interfere with the current building. It’ll be near it but not touching it. And pays total respect to the existing building, which I’m the biggest fan of.” By late October, the entire East Wing, a structure that had stood since 1902, had been completely torn down.
In September, he said, I’m paying for it; the country’s not. In October, “Paid for 100 percent by me and some friends of mine.” In February, “No charge to the taxpayer whatsoever.” In March, “Zero taxpayer dollars.” Every single one of those statements was a lie. And when a reporter asked him this week about the disconnect between his billion-dollar ballroom and Americans struggling to afford groceries, he looked into the camera and said, “It’s a tiny, it’s one one-millionth of a percent of what we do. That’s a small deal.”
“A small deal.” That’s what he called it. While millions of Americans are struggling just to afford to live. While gas prices soar because of his war in Iran. While his own administration boasts about cutting Americans’ access to food assistance as a “cost savings” strategy in the name of fighting corruption. And while a bill currently moving through the House cuts another $6.2 billion from SNAP and slashes WIC, the nutrition program serving 6.8 million infants, young children, and their mothers. Trump is fixated on convincing us that what he is doing is “a small deal.”
And while he calls their suffering a fraction of a fraction of a percent, the money for his ballroom isn’t coming from nowhere. It’s being pulled from inside a $72 billion reconciliation package, a bill that Republicans are trying to ram through with no Democratic votes, focused on ICE and border patrol. Tucked at the bottom of that bill: $1 billion earmarked for “security adjustments and upgrades... relating to the East Wing Modernization Project, including above-ground and below-ground security features.” That’s the language. That’s the ballroom. And on top of that, Republican Senators have separately proposed $400 million more in federal customs fees to fund the ballroom construction itself. The total potential taxpayer bill: $1.4 billion. For a building that 99.9999% of Americans will never set foot in.
But the ballroom was never really the point. Trump told us that himself. On March 29, aboard Air Force One, he told reporters: “The military is building a massive complex under the ballroom, and that’s under construction, and we’re doing very well.” Then he said the most important part: “The ballroom essentially becomes a shed for what’s being built under.”
The $400 million ballroom, the one he calls “the most beautiful and spectacular Ballroom anywhere in the World,” is, by his own description, a lid. A cover. A roof over something else entirely. A shed.
And at a Cabinet meeting around the same time, he told his officials that the underground component “was supposed to be secret, but it became unsecret because of people that are really unpatriotic saying things.” It wasn’t unpatriotic people who revealed it. It was his own Department of Justice, in court filings submitted to defend against the historic preservation lawsuit challenging the project. And what those filings described is not a renovation. It’s a fortress.
The DOJ’s brief listed what is being constructed beneath the ballroom: protective missile-resistant steel columns and beams. Drone-proof roofing materials. Bullet, ballistic, and blast-proof glass. Bomb shelters. Hospital and medical facilities. Protective partitioning. And, in their words, “Top Secret Military installations, structures, and equipment.”
Trump himself added more in a press availability: “The roof is droneproof. We have secure air-handling systems. You know, bad things happen in the air if you have bad people. We have biodefense all over. We have secure telecommunications and communications all over. We have bomb shelters that we’re building.”
An underground hospital. Bomb shelters. Biodefense. Missile-resistant steel. A facility designed not just to survive an attack, but to sustain occupation, with its own medical care, its own communications, its own military command, completely independent of the city above it. Walter Reed National Military Medical Center is 20 minutes from the White House. The White House Medical Unit operates around the clock. Presidents have never needed an underground hospital. Unless they’re planning for a scenario where they can’t leave.
And then, moments after the shooting at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner on April 25, they had the excuse they’d been waiting for. Within hours, still in his tuxedo, Trump stood in the White House briefing room and said: “It’s not a particularly secure building. And I didn’t want to say this, but this is why we have to have all of the attributes of what we’re planning at the White House.” By the next morning, he was on Truth Social: “This event would never have happened with the Militarily Top Secret Ballroom currently under construction at the White House. It cannot be built fast enough!” And by Sunday afternoon, the DOJ had sent a letter to the National Trust for Historic Preservation demanding they drop the lawsuit.
But none of that argument holds up. The White House Correspondents’ Dinner is not a White House event. It’s organized by the White House Correspondents’ Association, an independent press organization that has held the dinner at the Washington Hilton for decades. Even if the ballroom were finished tomorrow, the dinner would not be held there because it is not a White House event. And even if it were, the dinner had 2,600 attendees. The ballroom will hold 999. It physically could not fit this type of event.
And the security failure at the Hilton wasn’t a building problem. It was a decision problem. The Washington Post reported that the administration gave the dinner a lower security designation than other gatherings of senior officials, despite the President, Vice President, and most of the Cabinet being in attendance. Surveillance video showed Secret Service agents appearing relaxed as the suspect ran past the magnetometers. A federal law enforcement official said, “That shouldn’t have happened that way; he should have been stopped before he got into the lobby area.” The ballroom didn’t fail. The Trump administration and the people they made responsible for security that night did; the people who work for Donald Trump.
The shooting and danger were real. But the argument that the ballroom would have prevented it is a lie told in the service of a construction project that was already underway, drowning in litigation, and already running out of legal justification and money to build it. The shooting didn’t create the need for the ballroom. It created the political cover that Trump is now using to justify it.
And while he builds himself a fortress with an underground hospital, bomb shelters, and biodefense systems, here is what he has cut from the rest of us, the people paying for it.
He canceled all 10 Centers for Research in Emerging Infectious Diseases, the network specifically created to study viruses that could jump from animals to people. One of those centers was running a pilot project studying exactly how hantavirus passes from rodents to humans. The NIH told the researchers their work “has been deemed unsafe for Americans and not a good use of taxpayer funding.” Total funding killed: $82 million. Just in time for yet another global health emergency under Donald Trump’s watch, with multiple people already dead from a hantavirus outbreak on a cruise ship in the Atlantic from the Andes strain, the only known strain that spreads human-to-human. Five U.S. states are now monitoring returned passengers. He killed the research that was studying this exact virus. Then the virus showed up.
He laid off every full-time employee in the CDC’s Vessel Sanitation Program, the team responsible for investigating outbreaks on cruise ships, including the epidemiologist who led outbreak response. He left the White House Office of Pandemic Preparedness and Response Policy, created by Congress after COVID specifically to coordinate responses to future emergencies, completely gutted. The biosecurity lead on the National Security Council resigned in mid-2025 and was never replaced. The head of the CDC’s Division of High-Consequence Pathogens, which oversees diseases like hantavirus, is gone. He pulled the United States out of the World Health Organization. CDC scientists have been barred from even speaking to their WHO counterparts. The New York Times reported today that the “sluggish response and lack of communication suggest the United States is ill prepared for a larger health crisis, such as another pandemic.” And as we are seeing today and what we saw in those dark days of 2020, viruses don’t respect borders. As the well-respected board-certified Infectious Disease specialist Daniel Griffin, MD, PhD, says, “Nobody is safe, unless everybody is safe.” And we are once again seeing what Trump’s disastrous leadership does not just to us, but to the world.
He proposed cutting the National Cancer Institute research budget by billions. He proposed slashing the overall NIH budget by more than 40%. In the first three months of 2025 alone, the federal government cut $2.7 billion from NIH. The NIH terminated or froze 5,843 research grants. Over 800 were related to infectious diseases. Congress pushed back and largely restored the funding in the final spending bill, but NPR reported two days ago that the administration is finding other ways to withhold the money, sitting on grant announcements, delaying reviews indefinitely, leaving funding opportunities listed as “open” long past their deadlines without ever posting them. A cancer researcher told NPR her grant, submitted in February, has been delayed so long that “the chances of that grant being funded in 2026 are basically zero.”
He is building biodefense for his bunker while cutting the biodefense that protects 330 million Americans. He is building an underground hospital for himself while defunding medical research for everyone else. He is building bomb shelters beneath a ballroom while 4.3 million people lose the assistance that helps them put food on their tables. And he is sending us the bill after telling us we would not have to pay for it, while also saying it’s a small deal.
And if so much of this feels familiar, there is a reason. Because we have seen this before. Not exactly, but in all the ways that count. In 1935, Adolf Hitler commissioned architect Leonhard Gall to build a ballroom in the garden of the Reich Chancellery in Berlin. It looked like an unassuming reception hall. But beneath it, 1.5 meters lower, Gall built what was officially called the Reich Chancellery Air Raid Shelter. The walls of the bunker were so massive they supported the entire weight of the ballroom above.
A privately funded ballroom. A government-funded bunker beneath it. The ballroom as the cover story. The bunker as the point. German journalist Sven Felix Kellerhof later concluded that Hitler was probably much more interested in an impregnable air-raid shelter than another ballroom.
That bunker eventually became the Vorbunker, which was later connected to the Führerbunker. And in January 1945, Hitler descended into the deeper bunker built below it and never came out. He spent his final 105 days underground, micromanaging a collapsing war, raging at maps no one else believed in anymore, surrounded by loyalists too afraid to tell him it was over.
And this week, we learned that Vladimir Putin is following the same path. The Financial Times and a leaked European intelligence report confirmed that Putin has been spending weeks at a time hiding in an underground bunker in the Krasnodar region of southern Russia, afraid of assassination and a coup. His family has stopped visiting their residences. His staff are banned from carrying internet-connected phones near him. Surveillance systems have been installed in the homes of his cooks, photographers, and bodyguards. While he hides, the Kremlin uses pre-recorded video messages to maintain the illusion that he’s governing. A source close to Putin told the Financial Times that the U.S. abduction of Venezuela’s president in January “spooked” him. His popularity is eroding. Even Russia’s Victory Day parade was scaled back this year because of drone fears.
So when Trump tells us he wants a ballroom that just so happens to have a bunker under it. We have to wonder how deep he went into the history books when he was presented the idea. Because it’s never been a truly safe place and it never ends well for the men who end up in them.
Putin is hiding in his bunker right now. Hitler died in his. The pattern is the same every time. Every authoritarian who builds a fortress to protect himself from the people he rules ends up in that fortress. The bunker doesn’t save them. It becomes their tomb. And the fact that Trump is building the biggest one yet, with missile-resistant steel and drone-proof ceilings and an underground hospital, doesn’t mean he’s strong. It means he knows what’s coming. They don’t build bunkers when they’re winning. They build bunkers when they know it’s almost over.
We need to make sure that the truth of what he is doing reaches more people. A ballroom sounds like a waste of money and a grave misuse of money that could go towards helping so many issues that actually exist in this world, but the nefarious bunker is the real story. We need to do all we can to make this the symbol of everything this regime is. A man who cut cancer research to “save money” while spending a billion dollars on a bunker for himself. A man who fired every cruise ship inspector at the CDC and then watched a virus he defunded the research for kill people on a cruise ship.
The reconciliation bill is being pushed toward a June 1 deadline. Every senator needs to hear from us. Every Republican in a competitive district needs to be asked, on camera, whether a billion-dollar ballroom is more important than cancer research. Whether drone-proof ceilings for one man are more important than food for 42 million Americans. Whether an underground hospital for the president is more important than the medical research that could save their constituents’ lives.
And when it feels too big, when the numbers are too staggering and the corruption too exhausting to track, remember what the bunker really means. It means he’s afraid. Afraid of the courts that keep blocking him. Afraid of the polls that show Americans oppose him in numbers growing larger by the day. Afraid of the midterms. Afraid of us. Every dictator who ever dug a hole ended up in it one way or the other. Trump won’t be different. That is why I still have hope for America. And you should, too.